Saturday, April 18, 2009


In the last 8 months we have had 6 funerals to attend. Out of the 6, I have sang at 4 of them. Yesterday when I took the CD to the church the lady said.. "This will be the microphone that you will use." I told her that I would not be singing them because I was recorded on the CD. She said... "Oh I was hoping that you would sing live". With Sharon laying in the coffin next to me... I explained that she and I were the only small children in the family until we were 9 years old. We were only one week apart in age. There was no way that I would be able to sing them live. She said she understood.

Things always go wrong. lol I had all the music for the funeral. We HAD to leave at 9:45 to make the 2 and sometimes 2 1/2 hour trip. Terry Ann took Carlie to school at 9:00 and pulled up at my step-dad's house at 9:43. lol We were leaving at 9:45. WooHoo!! Things looked great! We drove 11 miles and were stopped for road construction. We sat there for about 15 minutes. I made the statement that it was making us get there at 12:15 and the funeral was at 1:00. I told Terry Ann and Bill that we were where we were suppose to be at that time. As long as we were able to walk in at 10 till 1. I could always wear the jeans that I had on. lol We pulled into Coffeyville at 12:00. Wow! We made great time. We stopped and got a cup of coffee at the Quick Trip and Terry Ann said that she would like to go through a drive through and get something to eat. I pulled into a KFC and ordered. We sat there for about 15 minutes. Terry Ann said she thought we should just leave. (I have never done that before after ordering. lol) Bill spoke up and said... "It is 12:21 and if that funeral is at 1:00, you might want to get going." I pulled out of line and headed for Gary's mom's house. She passed away in 2004 and her home looks just like it did the day she passed away. I think her kids have finally thought about selling it this year. It is a older little house. It took me 10 minutes to throw on my slacks, change blouse, and change shoes. We got to the church around 10 till 1.

We were going to stop at my mother's grave site and my aunt had told me to stop by the funeral home and pick out a plant. I forgot all of that after the dinner at the church. I was going to go through town a certain way but there was road construction.... it got me side tracked while talking to Terry Ann and Bill. I just headed for home a different route?? No one said anything to me because they thought I was in a hurry to get home. I felt really bad about forgetting... but when I remembered I was standing on Bill's front porch!! lol

Hope all of you have had a blessed week. All of you are in my prayers. Hugs, Janie


Sugar said...

glad you made it home safe.
hopefully the next 8 mos will be funeral free, or at least slow down for you. {}
as you say things always go wrong, or at least for me they i know exactly what you're talking about. murphys law!
get some rest now, try to relax.
drop by my blog, have something for you there.

sheri said...

Hi Janie,
I'm glad that you made it on time.
As you say, something usually goes wrong.
I know that it must have been a long and draining day. I hope you were able to get some rest this week-end.
Hugs and good thoughts,

*Tracy* said...

so very sorry to hear about your aunt! glad you made it home safley. take care. hugs

Lucy said...

I bet you are glad to have that over, Janie. I uninstalled my AOL. I wanted to tell you how you cAN REACH ME IN CASE you did not see the blog I put addresses in. One is and the other one is I have been having so much trouble I have not been commenting on but very few blogs. Hope that will change.

chefkelly25 said...

Janie, Sorry for all your losses. Funerals can be hard. I was driving along the other day and completely forgot my turn and took the next one. It was just automatic. I took the turn to that leads to the grocery store. I think we are on auto pilot somedays. Kelly

Lisa said...

Janie, hope you do'nt have to go to more funerals for a while, Love and Hugs Lisa

Kaio said...

I love the tittle of your blog; I so trylly agree: there is pnly 1 today1
Kisses from London

Lori said...

That really is a lot of funerals in a short period of time. I hope you don't have to go to any more for a long time. Take care and hope you are having a good week.

ADB said...

I can only wish you strength in these challenging times, Janie. I'm very sorry to hear you lost six in a short space of time

Alice said...

That was very good timing, Janie. Hope you won't have any more to go to for a long time :)

Anonymous said...

Whoa mama, sounds like a busy day indeed!! I had to wait 45 minutes at a Dairy Queen recently, it was brutal. Makes me wonder why people call it a "FAST Food", sheesh :o)

I hope the amount of funerals will lesson over time, you need a rest and enjoy life that's for sure ;) thanks for sharing about your day!